Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

I work because

Monday, November 10, 2008

Welcome to day 2 of our 30 day project to change our thinking so that we can create positive change in our lives.

mc escher mobius strip11



Finish this sentence with the first words that come into your mind:

I work because _________.


If you like what you just said... that's great! If what you just said shows you something interesting about yourself that you'd like to change, now is the time to take steps to make some changes. Start first with that thought, how can you rewrite the sentence to make it sound and feel true for you?

Once you have your alternative firmly fixed in your mind, you'll begin to notice that your attitude and your perceptions about your work will also begin to change.

We all love to see what other people write - so log on and share. Something you say might be really helpful to those of us who read it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh Oh!.. I suppose "I work because I have to" is NOT a positive position to be in mentally. That's what popped in! We have our work cut out for us this month Shirley! Egads!

Grace Gibson said...

I work because I want to. Well, that IS true, but when I look at WHY I WANT to, then the truth comes out! Sure, I want to because I get money for supplies, and yes, I want to because I can express myself. But I also want to so I don't feel like a complete slug, and so that I can be appreciated and approved of! More and more I am finding work is a way that I can do just that - appreciate and approve of myself. As to slugness, there is something important to look at - guilt that I don't have to work for my survival, and guilt that I don't contribute equally. Now I am clearer than I was a minute ago - that subtle sense of guilt has to be coloring my work as well as my experience of "work". Time to let go of that very limiting thought!

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Karla - I too got that "I work because I have to."

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something more positive that really resonates with me... finally I came up with this:

"I work (at Heavenly Pets) because I want to, and I work (at home on the blogs) because I like to."

And Grace - yes, the guilt over being a "slug" and the desire and need for approval and appreciation are all very present for me too.

Also there's this thought that "I work so that I can deserve to live." WOW! That's heavy!

Cindy H said...

I work because it's fun! I had a hard time with this one since I'm on disability. When I first went on it in May 2007, I felt guilty but then I realized that I earned this disability and I deserve the help! So whatever work I do now is stuff that I want to do. I don't get paid for it (at least not yet), but I still have fun doing it! I'm grateful for the time I now have to relax, rest, take better care of myself and to WRITE. I know I have plenty of short stories and magazine articles in me, if not that next best-selling novel!

jenny said...

I work because it brings money... was the usual thought. Right now I work to care for my family. My mom was diagnosed with cancer and I have taken a leave of absence to care for her and my two small children. I may not be paid for what I do with money but am paid with knowing I am making this time with my mom and my girls the best pay there is. Family. so the most accurate statement is I work to care for my family and see their smiles.

Jacqui said...

I work at many things(pay, volunteer, school)because it gives me purpose in life, place in community, a reason to up and get out there!

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi Jacqui - That's a great reason to work. I especially like it because for the past several months I've been wrestling with the questions of "what's the point?" "where's the meaning of life?" "is there a meaning or a point?" and other stuff like that.

I love your answer because it just might be a really good answer!! Thank you so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails