Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Lessons From Buffy

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


Ok... so I think this is really interesting (well, maybe not interesting, it might be kind of dumb). I've been watching the TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and next thing you know I find myself on facebook playing the Vampires game and am now up to level 8! Where was Buffy when I needed her? But enough of that...

It occured to me today that if I wanted to be Buffy instead of Aragorn, it might be a lot easier. After all, I have a Cordelia - I see her at work every day, Zander - well... I'm pretty sure I know who that is, and then there's that Librarian, "The Watcher," and if he's not Daniel - my name isn't Shirley...

What I like about Buffy is how she looks so fluffy and cute, a pert little teenager, totally unexpected as a "slayer" and yet she just jumps in and does what needs to be done. So, I've been spending some time emulating her, and it feels pretty good.

Then I found this list and I thought it would be fun to post for our project. It's a list of things learned from watching the series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm thinking some of them are pretty right on.

  •  You can't trust guys.
  • Sometimes you can't trust girls either.
  • On an English make-up exam, you don't get credit for speaking it.
  • Seize the moment, 'cause tomorrow you might be dead.
  • Live in the now.
  • It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to.
  • 'Hunk' can mean a lot of things. Bad things.
  • No speaking up. That way leads to madness and sweaty palms.
  • Punishing yourself is pointless.
  • If you lurk, you can learn things.
  • It's a statistical impossibility for a sixteen-year-old girl to unplug her phone.
  • If dropping hints doesn't work, drop anvils.
  • The mystery that is men goes something like this: they grow body hair, they lose all ability to tell you what they really want.
  • Tact is just not saying stuff that's true.
  • There's no use arguing with someone wearing her Resolve Face.
  • Playing with pointy sticks is all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
  • Being wanted for murder is such a drag.
  • Generally speaking, when scary things get scared: not good.
  • You wanna talk fun? Public bus. You meet the funnest people.
  • Competition is a beautiful thing. It makes us strive. It makes us accomplish.
And then I found this other list "What I've learned from watching Angel" (a character in the show - Buffy's love interest who just happens to be, of all things, a vampire).
  • Men-folk are not always around to protect women-folk.
  • The handsome man doesn't always rescue the damsel in distress, but she doesn't always need him to.
  • We all have a dark side.
  • Even good-looking people have problems.
  • Beware of beautiful women in dark alleys.
  • Beware of handsome men who insist that they don't bite.
  • When you feel happy, go ahead and do the dance of joy.
  • Some humans are monsters.
  • A cry for help is when you say "help" in a loud voice.
  • You have got to learn how to play with others.
  • We should all smile more.
  • Sometimes the journey is taken simply because it must be taken.
  • Every family's got its problems.
  • Next time you're looking for something, try hitting the last place first.
  • Some people just don't know how to have fun anymore.
  • Angel is pretty much a girlie name.
  • A bomb can ruin a perfectly fine office.
  • If someone tries to shoot your own personal back, it's personal.
  • Sex has consequences.
  • You can overcome your past, but it's a rocky path.
  • Brooding is such a waste of time.
  • If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do.
  • If you're a warrior slated for the coming apocalypse, you're gonna want a hair gel with hold.
  • It's not that vampires don't photograph; it's that they don't photograph well.
  • Outward appearance is no way to tell about a person's inner self.
  • No matter how good you are, sometimes you still need help.
  • You can't blame all of your actions on your evil hand.
  • Three good things to avoid: dancing, dating, and singing in public.
  • If you find yourself in an alternate dimension, it's probably not a good idea to yell loudly for help.
  • Don't confuse who you are with what happens to you.
  • If you lie to your friends, be sure it will come back to haunt you.
  • It's possible to be creeped out and comforted at the same time.
  • When the leather pants come out, there's going to be trouble.
  • When traveling through an interdimensional portal in a convertible, hold onto any loose objects.
  • Vampires can't fly.
  • Some people just should not have (a lot of) money.
  • Sometimes you only get one second chance.
  • Seeing your ex is a bad idea when you're feeling low.
  • Beware of lawyers bearing gifts.
Aren't these fun? If it was your deepest wish to be Buffy in real life, I'd have a ready-made set of rules for living. I'm thinking it might be educational and enlightening to create a list of my own... spend some time studying Aragorn and listing the lessons I could learn from him. What about you? Is there a list you could be working on? Lessons you could learn from... I dunno... Sam? Frodo? Gandalf? Bilbo? Someone else?

5 comments:

sanehat said...

I am trying to think of someone in a movie but not really coming up with someone. Now a book that is doable. I want to be Ged, from the Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. What could I learn....Well that you have to face your fear/your dark/shadow self and when you do it is not so bad. Kinda reminds me of the magic mirror gate in The Neverending Story. Anyways, also to be patient and keep your emotions in check, don't let pride and anger lead to doing something foolish. THat there is a lot of magical stuff to learn but that there is a lot of really good, useful and strong magic within us when we listen to our inner guidance and USE it. To be true to yourself for if you shape shift to much you may lose yourself completely. UMMM I have to think some more.

Michelle said...

I think about the best thing that I took away from 'Avatar' was that feeling of connectedness. I did have a very close feeling to that marine, who suddenly woke up in a better, functional body. For days after the movie, I would close my eyes and be there on that alien world.

It wasn't just the feeling of starting new, and improved...it was a feeling of deep remembering. Like I had that life before somehow, and the truth of where I want to be heading is somewhere in that world of light and balance.

So, how? Damn real life!!! But, it's what we have. I do feel boxed in a lot of the time, by kids, by the town around me, by my house that is a constant fight and struggle. However...I think it is more than picturing what is around me and making it more palatable.

I'm stuck and bored here. My mind needs an escape. That's why it is so fun to see movies, because it is escape; for 2 and a half hours anything is possible, and real, and right in front of you. Maybe it really is just exactly that way in our real lives, but we are unable to see how vibrant and possible everything is without the 3D glasses.

For a literal example...I have absolutely no depth perception. None. Everything looks the same to me in real life as it does on tv. But in that awesome 3D IMAX movie, everything was SO different. When I came out, I thought...wow, real life is dull and flat. And, maybe mine is. I think it's somewhat born out of necessity, but that's what it is.

It isn't realistic for me to go traipsing off into the woods regularly, because my scooter would just crash and lose it's little basket. I think it brings me some disappointment to visualize my house the way I truly want it, because I'm not sure I will ever own it...and I would have to own it to make it totally self-sufficient which is kinda one of the whole points I took away from the movie. I'm not on this train of thinking for disappointment, that seems to defeat the point of this.

But the connection, to earth and the omnipotent, that's where it's at. That's the feeling that I want and need to have on a constant basis, like air. That is what I have strayed from, and what truly makes real life a joy, and beautiful, and full of love and light. So for me, rather than trying to make my life into a character from the movie...I feel the intense desire to just be one with that connection to the Mother. I don't want the characters' lives, I want the colorful, beautiful life of that connection that flows so serenely in that movie.

So where are my 3D Life Glasses? My first thought is that my kids should be that stronghold of pure joy and satisfaction. I know people say their kids are an inspiration, and mine are, they inspire me to holler quite a bit. I love them so much, and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but they do not make my life peaceful and easy, and although I would do anything in the world for them, that does not inspire me. It makes me rather tired, because children are needy little things.

I think the 3D glasses are similar to the actual thought process. I don't think they are equated with someone, with something...I think they are truly the way you see something in your mind. If I actually saw my life differently, would it be different? Maybe. Or maybe I would just be seeing the same situation with some 3D glasses. But, for now, I am going to try and figure out what my life would really look like that way. And what kind of possibilites, if any, that makes more open to me.

And, just to be cool, I think i'll wear my 3D glasses that I (cough)stole from the movie while I'm cleaning up after the kids.

jennielee226 said...

This is my list from Morgaine from the Mysts of Avalon

Just because the world is changeing doesn't mean you have to.

Christians want to feel guilty. Don't bother telling them there is no need to. Because even if they do beleive you they will just feel guilty for not feeling guilty.

You learn more from speaking less.

Sometimes the only way to protect something is to keep it a secret.

There is a difference between lyeing and just not undecieving

Your brother will never appreciate you know matter how hard you try.

and most importantly... Never trust a fairy with your horse

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Thanks guys... I love your comments!

So, here's my beginning list of what I learned from Aragorn:

Never give up.
You are not your parents and you don't have to make their same mistakes.
Be kind when you can.
Pay attention to the details, notice the small things.
Don't ride crazed hyenna/wolf/demons - they'll only take you down.
You cannot escape who you are.

And what I took from Avatar is similar to Michelle - I just want to go back home to that connected with the Earth Mother place where I used to live when I was really young.

Mists of Avalon - wow - I haven't read that book in a long long time. I'm going to have to dig it up and reread it. Love the list...

Shirley Twofeathers said...

I thought of one more:

Not all those who wander are lost...

Related Posts with Thumbnails