Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Using Movies To Expand Our Limited Selves

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Our current project came about because I really do think that great movies as well as great fiction give us a really great way to look at ourselves through a different mirror, and to try on or try out completely different, larger, more expanded versions of life might be like if we could but allow it.


So, here's what I'd like to know. What movies have you watched that changed the way you think about life? Which characters inspire you? Those inspiring characters live somewhere within you, or they wouldn't be so inspiring... what would happen if you let them out? How would your life change if you did that?


Believe it or not, The Lord of the Rings is not the only movie I think about. I play this game with every movie I watch. Recently I watched The Wrestler. And wow... he was me! I was astounded at how amazingly the same we were. It was such a graphic image, and so decidedly familiar, that I immediately set about trying to change things.

I talked about it so much that my daughter asked me, "Mom, what are you going to do if this year, when you watch the Lord of the Rings, you find out that you're actually The Wrestler?"

Daniel and I watched "City of God" and while neither one of us identified very strongly with any of the characters, we did have a great insight into how it was that the main character got everything he wanted in the end. It was quite illuminating, and enlarged my understanding of how manifestation works in real life, in the real world.

I watched all 6 seasons of The Sopranos... and came away with so much that was helpful and valuable. Yes, the Sopranos! Hearing Tony Soprano in my head, "She's dead to me" has been an invaluable tool for dealing with difficult people. I hear him in my mind, and suddenly I find that I don't don't have to allow that person to affect my mood, my feelings, or my life.

The first 3 seasons of Dexter was a real eye opener! Just think about it. What if your father... or your mother... or your parents... knew the real you, had a clear vision of who you were born to be, and then dedicated themselves to teaching you all the things you needed to know in order to be hugely successful at being the best YOU that you could possibly be... irregardless of WHO that you might be!

Daniel and I got a lot of insight and inspiration about Magick from watching Rome. Seeing that pagan society in action gave us so many ideas and clues about how to live a magickal life.

Our current project came about because I really do think that great movies as well as great fiction give us a really great way to look at ourselves through a different mirror, and to try on or try out completely different, larger, more expanded versions of life might be like if we could but allow it.

So, here's what I'd like to know. What movies have you watched that changed the way you think about life? Which characters inspire you? Those inspiring characters live somewhere within you, or they wouldn't be so inspiring... what would happen if you let them out? How would your life change if you did that?

4 comments:

sanehat said...

It is hard to even think of a list of movies and books that have inspired me. The Neverending Story has been one for a long time, both the book and the movie. The book continues after the movie ends. The whole Grey Gardens thing made a huge impression on me. Both the movie with Drew Barrymore and the documentary. So many characters but I think they all have one thing in common they got what they wanted out of life by being true to themselves not by being who others thought they should be.
Of course when it comes to The Lord of the Rings, I am Samwise Gamgee in my mind there is no doubt and I want to be him. He gets everything he wants and needs to make him happy in the end. The house, the garden, love. Those are the things I want. And seeing how I have my own Frodo, possibly more than one, I am sure I am going to get them also.

jennielee226 said...

I have been reading the Southern Vampire series by Charlain Harris also made into the show true blood.
I identify with the charecter sookie stackhouse. I find that she does not shy away from lifes mysteries even if they seem a bit scarry at first. There are some ways that I wish I could be more like her. While she does consider other peoples needs and desires she does not consider them before her own (in most cases). I have been known to help others to the point where it is a detriment to myself. Like Sookie I need to find that line and do my best not to cross it.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Grey Gardens.... ahhh... with 5 cats and a crazy dog, I'm well on my way. Just the other day I found myself doing something with my hair that reminded me of Little Edie... so much so that it was scary and I started looking for the raccoons in the attic so I could feed them... LOL... yes. I totally relate to Grey Gardens. What I love about it was that it all worked out well in the end. Everyone did actually live happily ever after ... and it was a true story!

Jennielee - I love vampire stories, but I have not read the Southern Vampire series... I'll have to put that on my reading list. True blood is on my to-do list. The complete first season is at my video store just waiting for me to have time to watch it.

I loved your comments about Sookie Stackhouse... when I watch the series or read the books, I'll be thinking about what you said. It's really tricky to take care of yourself first AND be there for others as well. I'm going to be watching to see how she manages to do that! Thanks!

msvb19 said...

I had fun watching "Sunshine Cleaning" at home on the computer. love being able to pick what I want to see and get it immmediately. I loved the movie! I would probably be Rose always trying to get ahead and taking care of other people. If I was the main character which is Rose, I would not have had an affair. I would have investigaged the information before I justed jumped into work. I would of had insurance and there would not have been a movie! I would fit inbetween Rose and the sister who was messing things up but was the one that also really cared about people even though people did not expect her to.

Related Posts with Thumbnails