Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

We Have Homework

Thursday, January 14, 2010

OK guys, we have homework. This weekend, I'd like everyone to watch a movie. Daniel and I are going to see Avatar... you can choose whatever movie you wish. If you can't go to a theater, rent one at your local video store, and if you can't rent one, or there's no local video store, find one at the library or borrow one from a friend. It can be a movie you've seen a thousand times, or one that you've never seen, doesn't matter.

While you are watching the movie, have the following questions in your mind:
  • If I was in that movie, if my life was that movie, who would I be? Who would I want to be?
  • If I was in the movie as myself - what would I do?  Where would I fit in?
  • If I was the main character, what would I do differently? And then what would happen?
After the movie is over, think about what your answers to those questions might be. This is easier, and a lot more fun if you do it with a friend. I'm hoping this homework assignment will spark some conversation and some insight. So, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

3 comments:

Karla said...

I'm taking my daughter and her friends to go see "Lovely Bones" this evening. Hmmm. Not the kind of movie I would want to be in perhaps, but we all read the book and appreciate Alice Sebold's honesty as a writer. It is always interesting to see what they do with a book when it hits the big screen! I heard Avatar was amazing, Shirley! Wanna trade?

Karla said...

OK. That was NOT a good movie to use for this project. I want a do-over. I certainly didn't want to be the victim. I could not aspire to be the bad guy. I didn't feel a strong connection to any of the family members, although the little brother seemed like he had his act together and fully accepted seeing spirit and knowing where his dead sister was. They say children are perceptive that way and we forget as we age. Maybe I would be the grandmother? She seemed pretty fun in a psychotic, boozy kinda way. At least she seemed to be free-spirited. I guess I would have to be myself in this movie and actively encourage the family that letting go of a loved one, no matter how they pass, and remembering them with love, laughter and light, helps THEM to reach where they need to be. Hanging on in a fixated, inconsolable way to death inhibits the departed. Places to go, people to see, things to do.
The imagry and parts of the filming were very creative and vivid. It was intriguing to see the movie after the book. Stuff was left out and morphed..I suppose that's common with interpretation. My husband asked me if I enjoyed the movie and I could not say yes. I believe some movies are meant to touch you and not necessarily in an enjoyable way. It would be like saying Bowling for Columbine was fun.

Has anyone read Lovely Bones or seen this yet? Still looking for the Third Wish.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi Karla, well, at least you got a little something from the movie....

They had Three Wishes at my video store and I rented it. Not at all what I expected. I did come away with some interesting insights... if I was IN that movie, I'd want to be the dog... if I could bring a character from that movie into real life, I'd want to HAVE the dog... I also want that kitchen... the one with the aqua appliances and pink countertops. The cars were cool too.

And no... I haven't read or seen the Lovely Bones. Currently watching season one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and enjoying every minute....

So... I'm off now to see Avatar. Hoping it's not sold out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails