Accepting Donations!

Donate to a worthy cause!

Please please please?

Ask The Oculatum

Enter your question and receive the wisdom of the Occulatum. You may pose your question in any way that feels appropriate. The answer will come in the form of a small pop up. Try it - your life just might change for the better!

This script brought to you by JAVAFILE.COM

Cool Quote

  • We all - “We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” ~Neil Gaiman

Support This Site

Shop Amazon through this link, and support this site. Thanks!!

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger Tutorials

Visitors

Facebook Fans

AddThis Feed Button

Deal Breakers

Wednesday, March 24, 2010


Before we go any further, I think it's important to establish our "deal breakers" for this project. Now, I am not talking about the excuses we make to ourselves. Excuses look something like this:

  1. Too tired.
  2. Headache.
  3. Overslept.
  4. Argument with spouse, children, mother-in-law... etc.

When I say "deal breaker," what I am talking about are circumstances and situations that anyone would agree make excellent reasons NOT to keep the commitment. I'm assuming each of our lists will be slightly different, and I think it's best if your "deal breaker" list is short and easy to remember. Mine looks something like this:

  1. My house burns down.
  2. Death of a loved one.
  3. A medical emergency leaves me incapacitated.
  4. Wow! I just won 50 million dollars in the lottery.

This way, when you are tired or stressed or busy and the temptation to overlook your commitment "just this one time" comes up, all you have to do is remember your deal breakers. Did the house burn down? Was there a tsunami? Am I in the hospital having surgery? What, am I suddenly a millionare? If the answer to those questions is "no," well, then... no excuses... just do the thing!

And speaking of "do the thing," I'm off to do mine. What about you? Have you met your commitment for today?

7 comments:

Karla said...

Pooh. Just left a nice long comment and then and error message came up.

Try again! Yes I did situps yesterday (60 even) and lifted some teeny dumbbells and took a walk! Woo hoo! I started thinking about the benefits or outcome. Will I lose weight? Will my waist look smaller? Will my clothes fit better?
Kinda fun to ponder.

DEAL BREAKER. I am famous for dropping everything to do whatever mu kids/husband/family/friends/clients and strangers on the street need. UNLESS THEY ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION, THEY WILL ALL CEASE TO EXIST FOR THE FEW MINUTES IT TAKES TO DO MY SITUPS! SO THERE!

Karla said...

OK. What's up? Now both comments show up. Sorry! Perhaps a little more coffee......

Sudha said...

Your list works for me. I'm not planning to make a new one. Like Karla says its become such a habit to drop everything to something for anyone but me. But I'm enjoying this making time for me to do my drawings. I feel real good at the end of it.

I tried a still-life today. I still need to learn a lot about shading water in a bottle ! :-(

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi guys. I love that I'm not doing this alone! My usual excuses are that I'm either too tired or too busy or... and this is my favorite... oops! I forgot! and Aww Gee... now it's too late!

I'm actually beginning to think this could be a life changing exercise! Ok... I did my duty by getting our next post up... now I'm off to do my daily attunement.

So far so good.. I'm 2 for 2 and going on 3.

Anonymous said...

I did my 10 of meditation but Ive really got to work on the process though.I wait until everyone else is in bed since the other way Id get 10 minutes alone is if i hid in the bathroom with the door locked and the shower running.

Cindy H said...

Since I am just signing up for this project on day 2, I just now made my decision and posted it on day 1's comments.

I agree with the others' deal-breaker being if someone close to me is experiencing a life-threatening emergency or there is a major catastrophic event.

I am going to write a note to myself the night before so I remember each morning when I get up.

My intent is not any sort of weight loss, diet, or anything. I just have felt the need for a really long time to be more thankful for my food, it's nourishment, and thank the earth for providing it for me.

I do suspect this may make me more aware of what I'm eating and motivated perhaps to eat healthier. But even if I don't, I will feel great just knowing that I'm thanking the earth, the people and animals and plants of earth, God, my angels and guides for the bountiful food in my life.

And it will be nice to fulfill a commitment each day.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi Becky, Hi Cindy!

Becky - sometimes just getting 10 minutes alone can be a major undertaking especially when you live with a house full of people! I am totally with you on this on and know you can find a way. Is there a way you could do a "shower" meditation... meditate on the water, where it came from, and how one day it will be dew on flowers, or rain in the desert, and how it feels when it hits your skin, and imagine that it is cleaning and clearing your mind and your emotions... etc etc...

I like that one so much, I might go do it right now!

Cindy - I love your idea of gratitude for your food! It reminds me of something I posted quite a while back for thanksgiving... something similar... I think it might be helpful, and if I figure out what it was, I'll post the link for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails